We are grateful to Dianne Hammond for providing her copy of this document. And subsequently for helping us discover the date of publication - 1988.
Where possible the Register map key has been applied to the images on the right.
The map is HERE (poor quality as yet); the key is HERE
This Register contains a list of sites in the Parish which are of some conservation interest.
The first section deals with those which are legally protected - Ancient Monuments, Listed Buildings, Tree Preservation Orders and sites of Special Scientific Interest - and the full official description is included for each site.
The second section deals with sites identified by various surveys, which although of local interest, are not protected and in the main, are unlikely to be. Again each site is briefly described.
The Register should be used in conjunction with the Heritage Map at 6" to the mile scale on an O.S. base for the whole Parish, together with a 25" to the mile inset for the village. All sites in the register are marked on the map and given a number for easy cross reference. The more important sites are named and briefly described. In addition the map contains information on public access - the public rights of way and common land are clearly marked and sites open to the public are identified. As and when new sites are discovered or more information is available for those- sites already identified, both the register and the map will be updated.
The Heritage Map and its accompanying register is one of a series being prepared for selected parishes in the District. The purpose of the exercise is to provide local people with information about their own local heritage in the hope that they will develop a greater awareness of their environment. As part of this, the map and register should be regarded very much as a framework which provides the necessary incentive for people to produce their own more detailed and personal Parish Heritage Map. This would involve surveys of such features of local interest as hedgerows, farm buildings and wayside flowers; researching aspects of local history such as field names, shops and trades; and producing a photographic record of traditional buildings and architectural details. The range of information is considerable and a series of advisory leaflets will be produced by Breckland Planning Department, suggesting how you can set about collecting it.
By extension it is hoped that local people will feel encouraged to make some practical contribution to the care of their heritage by forming action groups to plant trees, tag saplings, walk and sign post footpaths, adopt and manage a wildlife site (scrub clearance, pond clearance, coppicing woods etc.); repair a local monument, put on an exhibition of local history or architectural photographs etc.
It is also hoped that local residents will keep a regular check on all sites whether protected or not and report any damage or threat to the District Council concerning trees, footpaths and traditional buildings; the Nature Conservancy Council (Tel. Norwich 620558) concerning wildlife sites and the Norfolk Archaeological Unit (Tel. Dereham 860528 ) concerning archaeological sites.
*This is based on an idea for Parish Maps set out by Common Ground in its book "Holding Your Ground". Common Ground is a national organisation.
The 1967 Civic Amenities Act first introduced the idea of Conservation Areas, enabling District Councils to define whole areas of towns and villages, the special character of which would be given extra protection. Most buildings and boundary walls cannot be demolished without Listed Building Consent; and no trees may be felled or lopped without six weeks prior notice to the Council. Designation also enables the Council to insist on higher standards of design for new development; to promote schemes to remove eyesores and provide more attractive facilities.
Lyng is tucked away in the Wensum valley on the west bank of the river at a point where several minor roads converge to cross it. Approached across subdued landscape from either the north past Sparham Hall and estate cottages, or from the south, the lanes drop down quite suddenly into the valley with views across to wooded slopes opposite. The village itself is not visible from any great distance, although from the top of Cadders Hill the pantile roofs look very attractive against a backcloth of trees. The new estate to the south of the village has done nothing to enhance this view.
The Conservation Area consists of two quite distinct parts - the village centre with a huddle of cottages around the network of lanes and the river side, overhung with tall trees. The cottages are grouped informally around open spaces and narrow back lanes, and linked together by flint walls and outbuildings. They are fairly typical examples of 18th and 19th century domestic architecture - redbrick fronts with flint nodule side walls, red pantile roofs, small sash or casement windows and a range of details - coped gables, dentilated cornices and shallow brick arches. Together they give the centre a unity of scale and colour in contrast to the two main buildings which stand slightly apart.
Manor Farm is tall with black glazed pantiles, small gabled dormers and a tight knot of redbrick outbuildings which, with good flint walls line the roadside and give firm definition to this edge of the Conservation Area.
The Church is set behind the main nucleus of shops, approached through narrow spaces which open out into the tree lined churchyard. On the northern side the new houses are so close to the Church and spoil its setting.
Although the centre is attractive, there are a number of things which need attention. Some of the surfacing, particularly in front of the Chapel, The Fox and Hounds and on several rear pathways needs sympathetic treatment (not concrete kerbs and tarmac). Together with ugly poles, overhead wires and one or two conspicuous empty properties, they combine to give parts of the village an air of neglect. At the other extreme several cottages have recently been modernised and/or extended. Whilst this is desirable, it is important that their simplicity and small scale is not distorted either by mock Georgian or crude standard windows and doors or-by large, flat-roofed extensions, particularly since most houses are equally visible from both front and back.
The riverside area is completely different - a refreshing mixture of shade and running water. The transition to this area is made by way of the heavily wooded grounds of the Old Rectory bounded along the roadside by a high brick wall. From the bridge the Mill House looks very picturesque with the redbrick bridge through which the river rushes into the millpond. On the opposite side the river drifts away through meadows. The road continues on to Pockthorpe, a small group of cottages which although in Sparham Parish are linked very much to the rest of the Conservation Area by the long avenue of roadside trees.
Lists of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest are compiled by the Department of Environment under Section 54 of the 1971 Town and Country Planning Act. Each building is fully described and graded I or II* or II. (the great majority are Grade II). Buildings are added to the list on the recommendation of an historic buildings field surveyor using a standard set of criteria based on age and architectural importance. No building may be demolished, partly demolished or altered in such away that its character is effected, without firstly obtaining Listed Building Consent from the District Council.
The original lists were compiled in the 1950s and omitted many buildings of importance by today's standards. Many are now being added as the result of a current survey of Listed Buildings in Norfolk. The new Lists are available for inspection at Council Offices in Dereham and include the following buildings:
Church of St. Margaret - LB1
Grade II* Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Slate and concrete tile (nave replaced with Welsh slate in 2014) roofs. West tower, aisle-less nave with south porch and chancel. C13 unbuttressed west tower with a 2-light Y-traceried west window, one first floor lancet and 2-light Y-traceried bell-openings. 2 string courses-and a parapet with crocketted corner pinnacles. 6 restored 3-light Perpendicular nave windows with embattled transoms. C15 porch (formerly of 2 storeys) with diagonal buttresses. One 3-light traceried upper south window and a pair of 2-light side windows. Unusual entrance arch - 4 - centred in principle yet central section built with straight sides. Low niche to east side of entrance. C18 Dutch gable in brick with an exceptionally large pediment and dentil cornice. Chancel of 1912 with 3 2-light Y-traceried side windows and a 3-light east window in Decorated style. Medieval 2-leaf south door with elaborate traceried panels and a quatrefoil border. Moulded C15 tower arch on semi-circular responds. Exceptionally wide nave with chancel off-set to south in relation to it. Chancel arch partly medieval with polygonal responds. Early C13 octagonal font in Purbeck marble with recessed arch decoration on bowl which is supported on 8 shafts (2 original) and a central column. Doorway in south wall of nave former entrance to parvis stair. Moulded 4-centred head with fine label stop carvings.
Remains of St. Edmund's Chapel – LB2
EASTHAUGH ROAD (north side)
Grade II Fragments of a former priory church. Probably C15. Flint with brick dressings. North west angle of a building with jamb and springing of an arched doorway. Fully dressed in brick. Further east on same alignment a fragment of flint wall. Other fragments probably present but obscured by vegetation.
Mill House - LB3
LYNG ROAD (north west side)
Grade II Former miller's house. C18 and later. Brick with traces of limewash and pantile roofs. Lobby entrance type plan. 2 storeys with attic. Facade with 7 sash windows with glazing bars. 3 ground floor windows beneath skewback arches. Off-centre C19 panelled front door with plain C20 doorcase. Modern glazed door to northern end. Gables with tumbling-in. Off-centre axial stack. North gable-end with 2 2-light and one 3-light original windows with metal casements. Contemporary single storey rear extension with 2 original 3-Light windows with metal casements. Later lean-to to rear.
Weir bridge – LB 4
Grade II Former road bridge incorporating a sluice to former watermill. Probably C18. Brick. 4 segmental vaults. Long swept parapet to downstream side with triangular coping. Shorter parapet to other side with blue bullnose coping. Sluice-gate to upstream side of easternmost vault. Included for group value with Mill House (4/31).
Lyng House - LB5
Grade II Farmhouse. 1734 engraved on a west gable tie-ends. The tie-ads form initials I.B. Brick with pantile roofs. Rectangular main block with lower, yet contemporary, service wing -to side. 2 storeys with attic. Service wing one storey with attic. High quality brickwork with black headers forming vertical stripes between window bays. Symmetrical main block of 7 bays with a central late C18 raised and fielded panelled door with a pedimented doorcase on pilasters. Blind window above with a Norwich Union insurance plaque No.10282. Modern aluminium windows in original openings. 2 surviving late C18 sash windows with glazing bars flanking front door. These windows have been rendered blind by the late C18 entrance hall which has plaster coved niches filling the window spaces. Skewback arches to ground floor windows. Plaster coved cornice. Gable-end stacks, the eastern stack with angled shafts, possibly surviving from an earlier structure. Service wing with one original 4-light mullion and transom window beneath a skewback arch. Plaster 'coved cornice. 2 late C19 gabled dormers with shaped barge boards. Later additions to side, front and rear. Interior mainly late C18 with one surviving duck's nest fire grate and several surrounds with pilasters and moulded and carved mantel pieces. Hall with York stone floor and staircase of square section balusters on open string with shaped tread ends and swept handrail. Original butt-purlin roof.
Old Smithy Cottage - LB6
Grade II Former blacksmith's cottage. Late C18. Colourwashed brick with pantile roofs. Cottage with single storey workshop to side. 2 storeys. Symmetrical facade of 4 windows and a central doorway bordered by rusticated giant pilasters. Original 2-light windows with metal casements. Ground floor windows with transoms and skewback arches. Plain platband and a moulded brick cornice. Panelled front door with corner paterae to door case. Later porch with a zinc tent roof, ball finial and fretted eaves detail supported on chamfered posts. Single gable-end stack. Workshop extension not of special interest.
Glebe House - LB7
Grade II Former pair of cottages, now single dwelling. Early C18. Brick with pantile roof. 2 storeys with attic. Symmetrical facade of 5 late C19 sash windows with vertical glazing bars. Inserted central C20 door. 2 blind window spaces at first floor suggested by black headers. Former doorways below, now blocked. Platband and moulded brick cornice. Gables with tumbling-in and black header lozenge pattern to east gable-end. Gable-end stacks. Later continuous outshut and a single storey outbuilding to rear. (Significantly remodelled and restored 2014).
Old Rectory, Lyng - LB8
Grade II Late C18/early C19 private garden by Repton, c.2ha, altered in C19 and C20. Lyng Rectory stands on a slight mound, on otherwise level ground, enclosed to north and east by the river Wensum, and to south and west by a moat. The house may incorporate C16 or older fabric, but was remodelled in C18. Approach drive from west over moat.
Humphry Repton was consulted by the Rev Charles Anson before 1806, when a small view of Lyng Rectory was included in the Polite Repository. The extent of Repton's work is uncertain.
To north of house, and of approach drive: woodland and shrubbery, with lawn to west. To south of house, small terrace with steps down to lawn, with views out to south and east. On southern edge of lawn, terrace with steps, overlooking moat. Scattered mature trees in gardens include oak, beech, yew, cupressus, plane.
Carter G, Goode P,. Laurie K, Humphry Repton, 1982, 159.
Norfolk Archaeological Unit at Union House, Gressenhall maintains a county Sites and Monuments Record. Each site and find has a record
filed on a parish basis and plotted on a series of 6" O.S. sheets. To date there are over 22,000 entries. The system may be consulted by prior arrangement with the Records Officer (Tel. Dereham 860528) and has been used to identify the following sites:
(Some pictures of some of these sites are HERE)
Al Barbed and tanged flint arrowhead, Beaker period. Found 1958, now in Norwich Castle Museum. Record Number 3040
A2 Remains of mammoth, reindeer and a flint handaxe, found 1966. Norwich Castle Museum. 3035
A3 Earthworks, possible moated site. 12303
A4 Medieval glazed pottery whistle, found 1932. 18583
AS Church of St. Margaret. See LB 7. Chancel once twice as long as the present one, the foundations were uncovered when a trench was dug, also found the bases of two staircases; one to the porch and the other to rood stair. 3061
A6 Medieval pottery, found 1977. 12904
A7 Paper mill, was there before 1764, burnt out in 1778 and rebuilt in 1781 but was burnt out by Luddites in 1832 and again rebuilt and worked until 1865. 12698
A8 Old Rectory, sits inside the remains of a moat which used to go all round the house. It was almost certainly the site of the Manor House of Sir John de Norwich who was given a licence to crenellate his house in 1343 the house was then sometimes called Lyng Castle and is often confused with the Nunnery on top of a hill to the south east.
In the Old Rectory gardens two 16th century pottery pieces were found in 1985 and a number of glazed tiles and old bricks found in 1940 in the moat, there were also 3 fish ponds near the moat. 1674
A9 Pottery found when a tree blew over; glazed Grimston pottery 12th - 14th century, a fragment of lava grinding stone and 16th - 17th century pottery. 12905
A20 Fishponds, details unknown. 3049
All Silver coin of the Roman Emperor Trajan, found 1955, Norwich Castle Museum. 3047
Al2 Neolithic flint scraper, found 1959. Norwich Castle Museum. 3041
A13 Mesolithic flint working site, excavated 1911-1916, materials found now in Norwich Castle Museum. 3036
A14 2 lime kilns dating from before 1836, now used as a store. 16656
A15 Two prehistoric flint flakes and one piece of 17th century pottery. Found 1976 11852
A16 Thought to have been a cropmark (variations on aerial photographs caused by differing crop growths due to soil changes on site of habitation etc.) of a ring ditch, excavated in 1985 but no dating evidence. Fragment of clay loom weight and a few flint flakes found. Possible Bronze Age burial mound, too eroded to ascertain. 17593
A17 Teeth of fossil elephant found 15 feet below water level in 1956. 3056
AI8 Coin of Emperor Antoninus Pius , found 1943. 3043
A19 Fragment of glazed jug handle 13th - 14th century found 1958, Norwich Castle Museum. 3050
A20 Roman pottery and the remains of a pottery kiln found 1949-59, some in Norwich Castle Museum. 3046
A21 Cropmark of ringditch, possible site of Bronze Age burial mound. 17821
A22 Buried foundations and medieval Grimston Ware pottery found. Probably medieval houses on the site. 12460
A23 Working pottery production site in the late 16th to early 17th century, also some fragments of medieval pottery in the soil. 12459
A24 Medieval pottery fragments. 12461
A25 Great Stone of Lyng Easthaugh. A glacial erratic (boulder carried by ice from another area and dumped when the ice retreated). 13057
A26 Cropmark of possible moat, bisected by the road. 14402
A27 Farmer reported having dug up brick arches - suggests a brick kiln. 12943
A28 Medieval pottery, found 1977. 12944
A28 Medieval pottery, found 1977. 12944
A29 Medieval pottery, found 1977, also remains of buildings.
12945 X29 Medieval pottery, found 1977, also remains of buildings.
A30 St. Edmund's Chapel (Nunnery)
Benedictine Nunnery in Priory form founded at an unknown date, was transferred to Thetford in 1176, but nuns were still at the site in 1250, and in 1287 the prioress of St. George's, Thetford had a fair there. In 1730 the ruins were described as being 14 by 44 yards, only the North doorway being recognisable. In the 19th century several skeletons were found "between the Chapel and the King's Wood" (King's Wood is now marked as The Grove), which was said to be the course of a Walsingham Way and is still locally known as an ancient way. Another local legend is of a silver chalice having been found in a drain near the Chapel said to be the old river course, the workmen who found the chalice argued over it and one "uttered a fearful oath" whereupon the chalice leapt back into the stream and was lost. Finds are medieval pottery fragments, a double looped copper alloy object, age unknown, perhaps a harness fitting. The field with the remains of the Chapel has been ploughed, after ploughing 3 flint flakes were found, 4 Ipswich Ware fragments, 13 Medieval fragments and fragment of a lava quern (grinding stone).
The following archaeological sites have not been located;
Neolithic flints, also various Roman coins and pottery.
In a gravel pit a Neolithic/Bronze Age axe-hammer was found in 1922, an uncommon find as it was made from stone not found in this area.
Quartzite mace head, found in 1853 somewhere in the Easthaugh area.
This list is not the result of a systematic survey, but includes buildings identified as "worth conserving" on the Conservation Area ems produced by the District Council, together with others in the parish known to be of local interest. They include examples of Victorian public buildings such as schools, chapels and railway stations; farm buildings, estate cottages and other vernacular buildings.
The social and/or economic history of these buildings and others yet to be identified is an area requiring further investigation and the following list may easily be extended.
B1 Barn at Field House Farm - Good example of late 18th C. 3 bay threshing barn. Brick and pantile with tumbled parapet gables (owl holes in apex). Central wagon entrance.
B2 Barn at Walnut Tree Farm - Long early 19th C. brick and tile threshing barn.
B3 Pill Box at Hase's Lane - Hexagonal second world war pill box.
B4 Former Primary School - Now converted to dwelling. Redbrick with yellow brick dressings. Coped parapets. Hood moulds to 3-light casements. New dormers. Slightly advanced central bay.
B5 Early 19th C. redbrick house, partly rebuilt ground floor. Hipped roof. Flat, skewback arches with 12 pane sashes. Flat, square headed door surround..
B6 Methodist Church 1857
B7 Former Kings Head Now cottages. Mid. 19th C. Rendered ground floor. Red brick first floor. Pantiles. 3-light, heavy section casements. Bracketed canopy porches with scalloped pegtiles.
B8 Former Forge
B9 Lyng House - Late Georgian – 21/2 storeys. Hipped roof with smut grey pantiles. Rendered brick. 12 pane sashes. Simple, pedimented door surround.
B10 Manor Farm - Mid. 19th C. - 21/2 storeys. Black glazed pantiles. Parapet brick gables. Tall stacks. 3-light casements under segmental arches. 3 pedimented gable dormers and pedimented gable porch.
A County-wide habitat survey has recently been completed by the Manpower Services Commission on behalf of the Norfolk Naturalist Trust. It has identified a wide range of habitats of wildlife interest (Category C Sites in the survey), including heath, semi-natural grassland, broad-leaved woodland, wet meadows, ponds and fens. Some may, following more detailed investigation, become Sites of Special Scientific Interest, but the great majority will remain unprotected. They are often the most important wildlife sites in any parish and it is hoped that owners will also appreciate their value and leave them undisturbed.
A list of these Category C sites may be consulted at the Council Offices in Dereham.
W1L Gravel pits north of Easthaugh
A group of large lakes, none very old, surrounded by water meadows from which they were dug. Parts are still being worked for gravel. The pits are mesotropic; winter pH7, water clear but not crystal clear, slight green algal colouration in summer, moderate to high productivity with aquatic plant beds and usually a reed swamp. The site can be described in various habitat areas. Neutral marshy grassland with drying fen vegetation, cleavers, reed canary grass, nettles, marsh marigold and yarrow. Semi-natural woodland of standard young oak and willows colonising a grassland area. A small gravel pit with aquatic yellow water lily, marginal bullrush, reed, young willow trees and steep banks with grasses. Semi-natural broadleaf woodland with coppice and standards and a small alder spinney. Scattered neutral shrubs, with willow scrub on marshy grassland and reed beds. The main habitat area is a large lake presently at an early stage of development. The margins are colonised by young willow, hard rush and willow herb, also mint, coltsfoot, soft rush, reedmace, marsh bedstraw, and sedge is common, also flag. Fauna includes fish in the lakes and a variety of wildfowl.
Norfolk Phase 1 Habitat Survey Ref. No. 677 1 W21.
W2 L Lakes north west of Lyng village
Lakes, wooded margins and meadows providing a variety of habitats for plants and animals. Area of neutral grassland around the lakes is semi-improved with impeded drainage, occasional scattered willows, the low variety of herb is perhaps due to grazing pressure. Mesotrophic lake with wooded margins of alder, willow and hawthorn scrub, violet in the ground flora, also a marginal flora of soft rush, pond sedge, watercress and willowherb. Mesotrophic lake with margins of reedmace along with a small number of willows, soft rush and marsh marigold. Mesotrophic lake with large wooded margins of alder, willows and reedmace, small reed beds, willowherb, watercress and slender tufted sedge. Small eutrophic pond with reedmace and soft rush margins. Large mesotrophic lake; apart from a few willows the margins are open and are dominated by bullrush and soft rush. Watercress and willowherb are present. On the banks are a number of small sedges including star sedge. Some reed is also present. Fauna includes fish in the lakes and a variety of bird species.
Norfolk Phase 1 Habitat Survey Ref. No. 676
This list is by no means complete but does include the more important landscape features identified by a brief field survey. A more systematic survey both on the ground and from documentary sources would identify many more local features of landscape interest (hedges, trees, ponds, roadside verges etc.).
T1 Lime Kiln Farm - Old chalk quarry cut into hillside and surrounded by trees. Just to the east of low spur of ground with scrub bush vegetation.
T2 The Grove - Belt of mixed deciduous trees along west flank of Easthaugh Hill. Prominent landscape feature formerly known as Kings Wood.
T3 Sunken lane between steep, wooded banks, sloping down to Cadder's Hill.
T4 Cadder's Hill - Spur of high ground on south flank of Wensum Valley with belt of beech trees (approximately 100 years old) on north west slope. Prominent landscape feature threatened by erosion caused by motorcycle scrambles.
T5 The Riverside - Large well-wooded areas - mainly willows and alders around the weir and mill house and mature, specimen trees in grounds of Old Rectory.
IMAGE of Kelly 1929
The following is from a Kelly directory of 1929
LYNG is a parish and village on the river Wensum, 4 miles south-by-west from Reepham station on the East Norfolk section of the London and North Eastern railway, 3 west from Lenwade station on the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 7 north-east from Dereham, in the South Western division of the county, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Mitford and Launditch union, Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich.
The church of St. Margaret is a small building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells, rehung in 5902: the church possesses an interesting altar-cloth (now displayed in a glass case), 6 feet 9 in. by 3 feet 8 in. fashioned out of three different vestments of the 15th century, viz., two copes, of blue and red velvet respectively, and a third vestment of orange on tawny velvet; the cloth is chiefly made up of the blue cope, with is decorated with conventional flowers, double-headed eagles, cherubim with four and seraphim with six wings, holding scrolls bearing the inscription "Da gloriam Deo;" the orphreys of this cope, worked with figures of saints, have been cut up to form part of the border of the cloth; the other two vestments have simply been used for filling in; the material is foreign, but the embroidery is entirely English: the communion plate includes a 15th century silver paten: in 1902 the nave of the church was new roofed (re-done in Welsh slate in 2014 at cost of £300,000) and the bells rehung, at a cost of £1,070: the old chancel was re-erected on its old foundations in 1912, at a cost of about '£500: there are 275 sittings. An addition was made to the churchyard in 1898. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £548. including 14 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Edward Henry Evans-Lombe esq. D.L., J.P. and held since 1923 by the Rev. Edward Croxton Weddell, M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The charities for distribution amount to £3 17s. yearly, and there are 16 acres which supply fuel for the poor; Leech's charity also supplies 1s. 4d. for the mending of bell ropes. In the eastern part of the parish are the ruins of an ancient chapel, dedicated to St. Edmund. A fair was formerly held on November 20th. Edward Henry Evans-Lombe esq. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor. The soil is of a light character; subsoil, sand. The area is 1,957 acre of land and 16 of water; the population in 1921 was 433, including Lyng Easthaugh hamlet, 1 mile east.
Post Office. Letters through Norwich. Great Witchingham is the nearest M. 0. & T. office
Weddell Rev. Edward Croxton M.A. (rector), Rectory
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Archer Saul.Geo. farmer, Bakers fm Bailey Ernest, Fox & Hounds P.H Barnard Chas. Bertie, cycle dir Barrett Frederick Richard, blacksmith
Meals Heber, carpenter, Post office Moore George, upholsterer
*Nash Stanley, farmer, Walnut Tree farm, Easthaugh
*Bird Frederick, farmer & landowner, Manor farm
Brigham Wm. & Sons, coal dlrs Brigham Wm. Sons, farmers, Easthaugh
Buck Charles Blake, watchmaker
Childerhouse Redvers Geo. butcher
Cook James Dunnett, grocer
Corson Walter Jas. farmer, Field house
Duffield William Frank, beer retailer
Durrant Leonard H. coal dlr
English Lydia & Julia (Misses), farmers, Primrose farm
Howard Rt. Geo. smallholder, Easthangh
Jay William, farmer, Yew Tree farm
*Jones Walt. farmer. Lyng ho
Long John B. N. baker
Neave Alfred, frmr. Cherry Tree fm
*Thomas Fred & CharIie Bambridge, farmers & landowners, Collin Green farm
Nudd Enoch, King's Head P.H
Sewter Edward, farmer
Speakman Alfred, farmer
Telegrams, Great Witchingham
These pages remain under construction
More historical site pictures HERE
Great new theory about St Edmund HERE
For another useful resource go HERE
and HERE is more about Lyng
The list of archaeological sites (left) is identified by location on the map HERE (of which a better quality version is being sought).
Image of Gazeteer 1845
The following is from a gazeteer of 1845:
LYNG, a pleasant village, on the south side of the river Wensum, 6 miles N.E. by E. of East Dereham, and 5 miles S.VW. of Reepham, has in its parish a large corn and paper mill, 1899A. 2a. 22P. of fertile land, and 601 inhabitants, of whom 86 are in EASTHAUGH, a small hamlet, on an eminence, one mile S. of the village. Edward Loathe, Esq., is lord of the manor, (fine arbitrary) but a great part of the soil belongs to H. T. Custance, S. Mills, and Robert Mitford, Esqrs., and several smaller owners. In the 17th of Edward III, Sir John de Norwich had license to make a castle of the manor• house, some traces of which are-still extant on the crown of an acclivity west of the village. A fair is held here on Nov. 20th. The Church (St. Michael,) has a tower and six bells, and in its windows are some fragments of stained glass. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 0s. 6d., and in 1839 at £508, has 58A. 3r. 5p. of glebe. E. Lombe, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Henry Evans, incumbent. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The Church Land, 2A. 28p., is let for £2. 6s. At the enclosure, in 1808, 16A. 1r. 9p. was awarded to the poor for fuel. In 1618, Solomon Leech left the yearly rent-charges of £2. 12s. for the poor, 10s. for a sermon, and 1s. 4d. for repairing the bell ropes. The poor have also the yearly doles. of 20s., left by John Starling, in 1728; and 5s., left by the Rev. Thomas Roberts.
In the following Directory, those marked * are at EASTHAUGH, and the rest at LYNG.
*Blythe James,_ painter, gazier, &c
Brown Geo. Esq. & Rev 1Vm.
B.A. Filby George, miller & beerhs. kpr
Francis Sarah, vict. King's Head
Gath Francis, vict. Fox & Hounds
Mace Barnabas, smith and farrier
Murray William, bricklayer
Nicholson John, butcher & lime brnr
Robberds (Chas. Augustus,) & Money (Wm.) paper mfrs. & millers
Town Thomas, schoolmaster
Waters W.& Rd.
Grocers & Drapers
Baker Chas. regr