This page is still under construction.
The pubs of Lyng and Easthaugh
A look at the pubs that once served Lyng and Easthaugh
The excellent site, Norfolk Pubs, tells us that Lyng had three fully licensed houses and two other brewing houses. There may well have been more, unlicensed.
The King's Head was licensed in 1794 and the first 'owner' was James Fielding, who ran it until 1836 when Joh Francia took over, succeeded by what we assume was his wife, Sarah in 1841.
In 1878 it was sold to the Reepham Brewery. The sale listed the following: "Tap, Parlour, Small Bar, Upland Cellar & Wash House; Club Room & 3 Bedrooms ; Also a Large Club Room in the rear with Skittle ground under ; Garden beyond with side entrance containing 2 Loose Boxes, Lodge & Piggery ; Also a 2 Stall Stable & Coal House plus another Stable".
The freehold was later purchased by Steward and Patteson but no date is given. In 1963 Watney, Combe and Reid (infamous for Watney's Red Barrel) bought the Steward estate and we can assume this included the King's Head.
The pub was delicensed in 1985. A few years later the site was converted into residential houses. It's style was effectively retained and the ensemble is an asset to the village.
For more details: visit: http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/norfolkl/lyng/lyngkh.htm
Steward & Patteson were then over by Watney (Combe and Reid) in November 1963, when their estate included 632 pubs, throughout East Anglia. The final settlement with Watney's, in February 1967, yielded £7,666,270.
More here: http://norridge.me.uk/pubs/names_/brewers/snp.htm
The Fox (and Hounds as it was) is the sole survivor of course. This too was licensed in 1794 as a Dereham Brewery house. It went via Bidwells and Bullards to Watney in 1963. It was an Enterprise Inns house for some years, then closed for a year before becoming a 'free' house locally owned and run by Vikki King and Gavin Hunt. The building is thought to date from 1710 originally.
The Bell, right by the church gates, was opened in 1841. Then in 188 it became a Youngs Crawshay and Youngs pub. In 1923 the license was not renewed but it opened again and from that year until 1960 when it closed permanently it was a Bullards house run by the Duffield family. It is still occupied by the daughter of that family.
An unnamed house was run by the Blythe family in Easthaugh from perhaps 1854 to 1865. It may have been more of a brewhouse than a pub in modern terms.
One other license appears to have been given but the location of the beerhouse is not known. The names AUSTIN SPELMAN & shoemaker and EDWARD SKELTON are lusted as license holders in the Eynsford records.
NOTE: The fact that two of these premises were given licences in the same year, 1794, probably reflects that fact that the alcohol trades were become more controlled at that time. The Mermaid in Elsing was licensed in the same year tradition places it as operating in some form in the 16th century.
It is probable also that they had been operating in some form before that, probably as brewhouses. In an age when water sources were hazardous and unreliable the antiseptic qualities of hops and the improvement in fluid quality provided by brewing made beer the safest form of fluid available. Even children would drink small beer as it was known - low alcohol content product.
THESE new to LOL pictures of the Kings Head when it was a pub have come to us from Ernie Pinch The actual date is uncertain but could show the last or second last publican under Steward's ownership -
either IVAN CHAMBERLAIN (27.07.1953) or WILLIAM ROGERS (13.02.1956).The rear view is also interesting as it also show how the essential character of the building was retained when it was converted.
THE FOX - above probably in the 60s 70s and more recently below; we can find no earlier images of the Fox - can you help?
THE BELL also seems not to be in any file of older pictures - again, can you help?